Welcome to Narva!
The frontier location of Narva is the most distinctive feature of the past and the present of the town. By the Middle Ages the historic border has been already running there, along the banks of rapid river swiftly flowing its waters out the Lake Peipus into the Baltic Sea and dividing the two civilizations – the Catholic European North and Orthodox Slavonic East. However, the border is not a mere line that separates, but also a place where two cultural worlds meet, mutually influence and interpenetrate each other.
The history had materialized in Narva in its architectural ensemble, uncommon beauty and dramatic effect. The integration of the opposites is unique in the whole Europe. Two giants of stone, towering in close vicinity to each other on two opposite banks (at distance of an arrow flight or that of a musket shot) - the castle of Order of Germanic knights and the Russian fortress of Ivangorod. Despite the opposition in the architectural approach, these two fortresses make up an integral ensemble.
Narva bastions have always been the main attraction of Narva town as well as Narva castle. For a long time the Bastions kept their mysterious secrets and rich history behind the thick walls of the casemates. These mighty fortifications could be watched only outside, meanwhile the casemates stayed unavailable for visitors. Now Victoria bastion is ready to share its secrets and let all interested into its previously closed tunnels. The exposition inside the tunnels is introducing the history of the bastions, starting from the date of the establishment, several centuries ago, till nowadays.
One kilometer long Narva river promenade is stretching along the Narva River from the river port till the castle. It’s one of the main places of attraction for both Narva visitors and citizens. In any weather people walk there, go fishing and do sports, as the promenade perfectly suits for leisure time with family, rollerblading and cycling.
In only 14 kilometers from Narva, on the coast of the Gulf of Finland, is located Narva-Jõesuu, small and cozy spa town. Since the beginning of the XIX century it grew into a favorite place for the Saint-Petersburg aristocracy. In our time there are health recovery center, hotels, holiday homes, which are offering a restful and relaxing holiday to thousands of visitors.
Main reasons to visit Narva
1. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL BEACH AND HEALTH RESORT AT NARVA-JÕESUU – the pearl of the Baltic Sea with a white sandy beach, a healing pine forest and the calming sight of the sea.
2. LOCATED AT THE HEART OF NATURE WITH A UNIQUE HISTORY and distinctive towns, which are unique to the entire Baltic area.
3. IDEAL FOR A HOLIDAY – with a clean, safe environment and an excellent infrastructure.
4. SOMETHING OF INTEREST FOR EVERYONE: you can indulge yourself with spa-treatments, enjoy nature, explore many centuries of history, participate in numerous sports and other entertaining activities – here you can have the best holiday all year round.
5. ONLY HERE in Europe is Russian hospitality sampled in a friendly Estonian way.